FEMA flood declaration — Washington and Orange Counties

Attention Local Officials:  The FEMA form that needs to be completed and provided to VEM for the new declaration just announced today regarding Washington and Orange Counties for the May flood damages is available by contacting CVRPC.  cvrpc@cvregion.com will get you to Laurie Emery and the form can be emailed back to you. The town clerks of the municipalities in Washington and Orange have already been provided with the form.   If  town officials need assistance with the form, or anything else related to emergency management, please contact CVRPC’s emergency management planner, Paul Luciano, at 802/881-1654 or via email at pluciano@ccrpcvt.org  . CVRPC staff is also available to assist or answer questions at cvrpc@cvregion.com  or our individual email addresses.

The FEMA form can be faxed to the VT Agency of Transportation at 802/828-2848 or FEMA JFO at 802/951-2646. If these numbers change for any reason, we will let you know, but at the moment they are the numbers we’ve been provided. You can also contact Ross Nagy at VT Emergency Management to verify where the forms should go. Ross can be reached via email at rnagy@dps.state.vt.us. Let us know how we can assist!

Grant Resources for VT Municipalities

The Vermont Dept. of Buildings and Services has just announced the availability of the 2011-12 Recreational Facilities Grants Program. Click on the link below for the criteria and application details. Application deadline is September 2, 2011.

• Building Community Grants Programs Summary

• Recreation Facilities Grant

• Human Services and Education Competitive Grant Program

These forms are also available on the BGS Forms and Publications webpage, http://bgs.vermont.gov/formsandpublications. The application process for these grants is intended to be uncomplicated and quite simple.

2010 Census Fact Finder and how to get the data you want!

CVRPC has scheduled a webinar on tips and tricks to using factfinder2.gov for gathering 2010 Census data by town and by dataset. As I discovered at a meeting last night, it is not easy. So, we encourage you to join us on Thursday, July 28 at 2 p.m. at CVRPC’s offices to view this webinar and learn the tricks we need to get our data! We believe that once the webinar has been viewed, that it will be available at the website of the Council for Community and Economic Research for additional viewing, but we will have to confirm this information. We are also hoping that we will be able to acquire a DVD of the webinar that we could then share with town officials who want to view the presentation or who would like staff to present the information to a larger group in their locale.

There is no need to register for this July 28 at 2 p.m. webinar at CVRPC’s office, but in order to ensure that we have enough chairs, it would be handy if you let us know you plan on attending. Thanks.

Webinar Presentation on
Tips and Tricks for Using the New American FactFinder
To get 2010 Census data

July 28, 2011
2:00-3:30 PM EDT

Are you frustrated by the Census Bureau’s new American FactFinder? Can’t find the data you want? This webinar will provide a how-to demonstration to get the tips and tricks you’ll need to successfully use the new American FactFinder. The webinar will also cover when the Census Bureau plans to move other data sets, such as the American Community Survey, to the new FactFinder.


Nancy Gemignani
Research Specialist, California State Census Data Center
State of California Department of Finance, Demographic Research Unit

FEMA Flood Estimator Workshops

FEMA will be hosting a series of one-day Substantial Damage Estimator software workshops at the Joint Field Office in Burlington. The software is a tool designed to assist communities in determining whether or not structures have been Substantially Damaged and whether structures need to be brought into compliance with local/NFIP minimum standards.

Workshops are scheduled to be held August 2, 3, and 4 (Depending on the level of interest). Please send me an email indicating your interest, which date you prefer, and whether a late/day-evening workshop is preferable. If interest exceeds classroom space, priority will be given to local officials in the communities that experienced the most extensive damage to residential/commercial structures.

A more formal invite/schedule will be sent, but we are trying to gage interest from local officials at this point,

Best Regards,

Rob Evans, CFM
Floodplain Management Grp Supv.
128 Lakeside Avenue
Burlington, VT 05401
571.449.1641 (mobile)

VT Law School Presentations – Farm bill and Agriculture Law – Free

Summer Agricultural Events at VLS

Tues July 26 – Sustainable Agricultural Law Careers

Oakes 007

Moderator: William Eubanks II ’08, Meyer Glitzenstein & Crystal

Panelists: Annette Higby, National Sustainable Agricultural Coalition;

Kenneth Miller, Law for Food LLP;

Jim Libby, VT Housing and Conservation Board

Panelists will describe what they do that relates to sustainable agriculture, their career path, fun stories of the kinds of projects they take on, and general advice for anyone aspiring to follow a similar path.

Thur August 4 – Unlocking the Farm Bill

Oakes 007

Moderator: Mary Jane Angelo, University of FL Levin College of Law

Panelists: Marne Coit, Greenfield Research and Consulting LLC;

Tom Berry, Senator Leahy’s Office

Highlights of what’s good, bad, and possible with the Farm Bill, past and future.

~Both Events Are Free & Open to the Public~

For more information about these events, please contact:

Peg Elmer, pelmer@vermontlaw.edu, 802-831-1405

Farm to Plate and Good Agricultural Practices funding

Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) Capital Improvement Grant

FY2011 Request for Applications


A. Funding Source and Available Funds

The Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets (VAAFM) received $100,000 from the Vermont Legislature to provide matching grants for capital investments that will support Vermont agricultural producers in obtaining GAP certification. There is a maximum cap among all GAP Capital Improvements Program grants of $10,000 per farm, and farms must contribute a minimum of 50% of the total project costs.

This funding will be disbursed in two grant rounds, with the first grant round open from July 1 to September 30, 2011. A total of $50,000 is available in the first grant round, and will be made available to producers for eligible expenses in the order that applications are received. Applications received after first round grant funds are fully expended will be automatically considered in the second round of funding. The second round will open on November 1, 2011.

Please note that all farmers who undergo a USDA GAP audit through VAAFM are also eligible for a reimbursement of up to $500 of audit costs, for a maximum of two growing seasons or $1000 per farm. Audit costs are not an eligible expense for the GAP Capital Improvement Grant. Please contact Chelsea Bardot Lewis at 802-828-3360 for more information.

B. Eligibility and Program Goals

The goals of the GAP Capital Improvement Grant Program are to increase sales of Vermont fruits and vegetables by maintaining or increasing market access and promoting food safety. To be eligible for funding the participant must be in good standing with the Agency of Agriculture regarding regulatory requirements and resulting penalties.

Current GAP-certified producers, or those who are looking towards GAP certification are eligible. By June 30, 2012, producers must either 1) obtain GAP certification; 2) create a food safety plan that will bring them closer to their goal of GAP certification; or 3) have an appointment with a GAP auditor to begin the audit process.

Pre-approved uses for this grant include: Water systems, delivery and treatment devices and improvements Fixed or portable restrooms Hand-washing sinks (mobile or stationary) Crop production equipment to reduce food safety risks Field harvest systems to reduce food safety risks

Cooler walls and refrigeration units Packing-shed walls, ceilings, and light fixtures Drainage systems in coolers and packing sheds Fencing

Additional uses may be proposed.

C. Application and Review Process

The full application format is provided below. This grant application must be fully completed, signed, and submitted to the Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food, and Markets, hereby referred to as the Agency, for eligibility. Proposals will be reviewed by a committee composed of representatives of the Agency, UVM-Extension, NOFA-VT, and producer groups.

If selected, you will be notified by the Agency. We expect to notify applicants of funding decisions within 4 weeks of the application receipt. Successful applicants will have to sign grant agreements and submit W-9 forms to the Agency before funds can be disbursed.

Application Instructions

1. Fill out the cover sheet

2. Answer the application questions.

3. Fill out the one-page budget form, and attach a budget narrative, showing and describing the sources and uses of funding for your project. Be sure to show the required 50% funding match from sources other than the GAP Capital Improvements Grant Program.

4. Mail or email the completed application materials to:

Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets

116 State Street

Montpelier, VT 05602

Email: chelsea.lewis@state.vt.us  Email Chelsea Lewis to get the application forms.

Application assistance: If you need assistance with your application, please contact Chelsea Bardot Lewis, Agriculture Development Coordinator at 802-828-3360 or chelsea.lewis@state.vt.us.

FEMA News Release


BURLINGTON, VT – The Federal Emergency Management Agency has recently incorporated the latest high-tech ways of getting the word out about disaster assistance, including websites, mobile applications and cell phones. However, one of the best ways to spread information is still the old-fashioned way: word-of-mouth.

That’s why officials from FEMA and Vermont Emergency Management are encouraging Vermonters who have experienced damage from the spring flooding and already registered for disaster assistance to let their friends and neighbors know that help may be available.

“Vermont is the kind of state where we talk to our neighbors,” said VEM’s director Mike O’Neil. “So if you know someone who has experienced damage from the recent flooding, encourage them to register for disaster assistance.”

To register for disaster assistance, call 800-621-FEMA (3362). Multilingual registration assistance is also available. Those with a speech disability or hearing loss who use a TTY can call 800-462-7585 directly, or 800-621-3362, if using 711 or Video Relay Service. Registration can also be done online anytime at http://www.disasterassistance.gov/ or through web-enabled mobile phone devices or smartphones at m.fema.gov.

“I couldn’t believe I was the only one on my block to apply,” said Laurie Singer of Essex, VT. Singer’s foundation was inundated with ground-flooding, which damaged her boiler and hot-water heater. “When I told my neighbors they should apply, they didn’t think they would get anything. I applied on a Thursday, and a week later, the funds to replace and repair the damage were in my bank account. I was really impressed by how efficiently FEMA has been handling the flooding. I knocked on doors, and told my neighbors because some of them had more damage than I did.”

“Even if you think you may not be eligible, you should register and find out,” said FEMA’s federal coordinating officer Craig Gilbert. “FEMA assistance includes programs from many different agencies and organizations.”

FEMA grants may cover rental assistance, home repairs and replacement of essential household items not covered by insurance. The objective is to make damaged dwellings safe, sanitary and functional. Other Needs Assistance grants may be available to replace personal property and help meet medical, dental and transportation and other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance or other federal, state and charitable-aid programs.

The U.S. Small Business Administration offers low-interest disaster loans to homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and private nonprofit organizations for losses not covered by insurance. The SBA may lend up to $200,000 to repair or replace homes and up to $40,000 to repair or replace personal property. Also, up to $2 million may be available for businesses and nonprofit organizations for their uncompensated disaster losses.

No one is obligated to accept a loan. However, a completed SBA loan application may open the door to other possible forms of assistance.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585. If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 1-800-462-7585 directly; if you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

SBA disaster loan information and application forms may be obtained by calling the SBA’s Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 (800-877-8339 for people with speech or hearing disabilities) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET or by sending an e-mail to disastercustomerservice@sba.gov. Applications can also be downloaded from http://www.sba.gov/ or completed on-line at https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela/.